Pages

Thursday 10 January 2013

Decluttering with a Child part 1

I am trying to introduce Squig (her nickname since 2 days old as she's never still!) to decluttering.

It's a challenge, let's put it that way.

We have all the games for tidying up time but in terms of actual decluttering her toys this is harder. She has accumulated a mass of plastic and tat over her short 3 years. Puzzles with pieces missing, freebies from magazines etc are a staple of the detritus at the bottom of her toy box.We are drowning in her toys.

I have two options basically.
  1. Do it when she is in bed, without her knowledge and hope that she won't notice (she will).
  2. Enlist her help somehow.
I am leaning towards 2 because I want to bring up Squig with a decluttering mindset, I don't want her to get to her thirties and have the massive job to do in her home. I want her to see decluttering as normal, as desirable and through teaching her I'll be teaching myself. Plus children are often more aware, more intelligent than we give them credit for. I have no idea why she loves yellow dusters so much but boy does she know when I sneak one or two of her massive collection into the wash without her knowing. She is fine if she has seen them go in but do it without her knowing and all hell breaks loose.

Knowing my luck the day I get rid of the free toys on the front of her Peppa Pig magazine, that are broken and she never uses, will be the day she decides she wants them. The decluttering decisions need to come from her (with my guidance of course).

I know she can do it, I have seen her at nursery having to make choices and decide which should stay and which should go.

Wish me luck, this is a blog post I will be returning to often!

No comments:

Post a Comment